Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Alicia

[Pictures of Galveston after Alicia]

Yes, you heard that right... I was trying to frame a point of reference for the strength of the coming storm (Hurricane Ike is headed straight for Houston and Galveston) and it turns out that the last time Houston weathered a Category 3 storm was Hurricane Alicia which hit when I was about 8 - the first since Hurricane Carla back in 61. So it seems that Houston is destined to get a heavy hit about every 20-someodd years. At any rate, I have very vivid memories of Hurricane Alicia and the week that followed. In fact, I think a tornado went right through our neighborhood. We were without power or water for several days and I remember my dad making the rounds of the neighborhood with his lone chainsaw helping everyone with their downed trees and then rinsing off in the rain at night. Of course, being 8 meant it was all a grand adventure, esp. since school was cancelled for a week afterwards.



Now, my one thought is to pray for the safety of all those in the path of the storm.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

Hope all is well with you guys in Austin (and with your fam in Houston). Galveston and Houston are in for it, but all will be OK. I am glued to the coverage because it is just so fun to see G-ton, even under these circumstances!

Corrine said...

hope your families are safe, are they coming to stay with you?