Finally, I am posting the results of our cooking experiments! We had a great time, although I learned that I can't have the kids "help" me when I'm tired because I run out of patience too quickly - and patience is definitely needed when kids are cooking.
By far the favorite activities were stirring, smashing (as in potatoes), and cutting. It really is amazing what can be cut with a butter knife :) Just be sure you don't need things in uniform sizes in your recipe. The pictures above are actually from last fall when they made rolls for Thanksgiving with Lisa, but they turned out better than any of the pictures I didn't remember to take.
Results.... Mollie Katzen wins this round. I checked these cookbooks out from the library, but they would definitely be nice to have around all the time. One of my favorite things about them is that all the recipes are vegetarian and are great for helping kids to learn about eating seasonally healthy dishes. Besides, they're more likely to eat veggies that they help prepare - my kids loved the Broccoli Quiche (although next time I'll use a milder cheese than swiss for them) and the Polka Dot Rice.







4 comments:
so, what was the name of the cookbook you used. since it's vegetarian, sounds like one i'd like to look at!
I'm guessing you haven't turned vegetarian, judging by your sidebar menu. But lots of vegetarian cookbooks lately, I've been getting your updates on Goodreads too. Is it just to find good recipes for summer veggies and encourage your kids? We so need that! Please share some of your most successful recipes (successful, as in - your kids will eat it)
Sounds like something I'll have to keep in mind as the kiddos get a little older -- great idea! :)
I added a link to the previous post where I show the cookbooks I used - they are written by Mollie Katzen, author of the Moosewood Cookbook.
Post a Comment