Friday, April 16, 2010

Every Family Has One

In my family growing up, it was my brother Brent... the one who always managed to injure himself in such a way that surgery or stitches were needed. You would think with five children, the mishaps would have been a bit more evenly distributed, but for some reason Brent had about 5 times as many as the rest of us...

I don't know if this is true in every family, but it is quickly becoming obvious who the more accident prone one is in this household. As I type this, Andrew and Lincoln are in the ER at the Children's Hospital getting stitches because Lincoln fell off the fence earlier this evening. I must say, I really could do without seeing him walk into the house with blood streaming down his face - twice is plenty for a lifetime! At the same time, I'm bracing myself for the "Brent experience" so hopefully things will seem mild by comparison :)

4 comments:

bhbardo said...

Yes, except I don't think very many of mine happened before I was 10 or 11. I do have an eyebrow scar and two lip scars that are unaccounted for, so those probably happened early, but most were older. In case you want a preview of what may come, I'll remind you of my list:

1. the bunk bed-desk-broken jaw incident
2. the football-fence-knee incident
3. the scooter-trailer-forehead and knee incident
4. the table saw-thumb incident
5. the rock climbing-head incident

And of course, a slew of more minor bicycle wrecks, scrapes and bruises.

Happy parenting!

(Sorry, Lincoln, if my precedent leads to any restricted freedoms. With the exception of #1, I consider them all evidences of life lived well, if not quite carefully enough.)

Oak Forest Math said...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming -"WOW-What a ride!" To our Lincoln - Looks like you have a good start. Have a happy and fearless life!

Corrine said...

i must say my kids are doing their fare share of spreading the injury wealth....bethany just took a huge spill on her scooter, landing the scooter handle through her forehead, seven stitches later and what I am sure will be a nice scar she is ok.

greg still has her outnumbered with ER visits though...luckily with her we have a great clinic in Utah open every day and late hours :)

sorry about Lincolns head and it is never fun to see a bloody head!

bhbardo said...

On further reflection, and in Lincoln's defense, the first incident you refer to can't really be called an accident