Thursday, May 3, 2012

The tradition continues

 I was about 8 years old when my mom taught me how to cross-stitch... and it didn't take long for me to be hooked.  I think it's a great way to introduce kids to fabric arts because it's a relatively easy way to learn to use a needle and can be as simple or as complex as  you want.

 I got Leah started during General Conference this year so she would have something to keep her busy while sitting in one place and listening to the speakers.  Her first project was this little ladybug - a great simple pattern to help teach the different stitches.

Then she moved on to a bookmark pattern that she could give to one of her favorite teachers - we found this cute bumblebee fabric to match and I helped a little on the sewing.  She was so excited to give it to her teacher!  And she's already started a new one for another teacher.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Such a great idea!

Editt said...

Wow! That is a great idea! She did an awesome job. I don't know how to cross-stitch. Maybe Leah can teach me. :)

Karen said...

I remember when my mom taught me. What a great tradition! And she is already mastered it - such a smart girl.