Friday, November 23, 2012

Battleship Texas

 After spending Thanksgiving at Grandma and Papa's in Houston, we stayed over until Friday to play some more and decided to take a drive down to La Porte to see the San Jacinto Monument and Battleship Texas.

We mostly just drove by the monument and read the history engraved at the bottom, but we ended up spending almost 4 hours exploring the Battleship! (with only a brief stop at lunchtime to revive blood sugar levels)  They've restored a lot more of it for touring than was open back when I remember going to see it as a 3rd or 4th grader.

We practiced shooting down enemy planes...
I actually think I need one of these to do something in my house - it would be a great way to teach cooperation and collaboration since one gunner raises and lowers the barrel and the other rotates the gun back and forth.  I'm sure there could be some home application, couldn't there?

And we swabbed the deck.
This was actually much more effective after it started raining.
Too bad I can't get them this excited about mopping at home!

 The next time we redo the boys room, we are totally doing this!
It would be even cooler if we could set it up on a pulley system so we fold it up against the wall or ceiling when they're not sleeping and have a lot more room to play.

It was a good day of cool exploring and boat watching in the Ship Channel.
Thanks Grandpa!


1 comment:

Jennie said...

Love the beds! And the pulley idea!