Monday, September 7, 2009

One Week In

Work started on our foundation last Monday and they seem to be making pretty good progress. At any rate, we have several holes in our floors and around the perimeter of the house and most of them are pretty deep. You can see how we had to take up some of the wood floors to accomodate the holes. The nice thing about real wood floors is that if you're careful when you take up the slats, you can put them back down again. We also have a couple of cartons of the flooring in the attic that we can use to fill in the gaps and then we'll just have them refinished. Luckily, we were able to avoid tearing in to the floors in the front room, so we just have to deal with the family room when they're done.


Meanwhile, we're subletting a furnished apartment about five minutes from our house (which is nice because not only did we not have to move any furniture, but it also allows us to make a run every night to do laundry and collect the mail - as well as pick up whatever we realize we've forgotten or decide we can't live without). It's a bit kitschy and much smaller than we're used to, but it does have a beautiful big screen TV and the kids think it's a great adventure!



I have discovered, however, that when you actually live in someone else's place, you find that your standards of cleanliness are much higher than you give yourself credit for at home. For example, I like my walls and appliances to be free of food splatter - something not so important to the person we're leasing from. She also apparently had some sort of small long-haired animal that I'm very allergic to - at least while I'm pregnant - so I've been vacuuming several times a day to try to get up all the hair, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good.

While it's been great to have a place so close to our home and Leah's school, I'm sincerely hoping that we'll only be here three more weeks. Here's praying that the work on the house goes quickly!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Goodness...I have extra prayers for you. I hope it is finished before the baby comes!!

Marci said...

we are loving the pictures on our end (mainly kyle). keep them coming he says and I say be grateful that the place you are staying in has lower cleaning expectations they you do... it will be better when you move out!

merathon said...

kitschy? you mean you don't love the Christmas lights in the kitchen and the stuffed bear in the cabinet? :)

glad to hear the work is going well!