Sunday, July 10, 2011

Introducing Bishop Thorley

Yes... you read that right... Today our stake created a new ward and my dear sweet husband was called to be the bishop. Needless to say, things have been a bit crazy around our house for the last week as he and his counselors have tried to fill the leadership callings for a brand new ward - starting from scratch has both pros and cons!

Those members of our wonderful family who happened to be in Texas were able to come to Austin to help with the sustaining and setting apart. While it is a bit daunting to think of the responsibilities that come with this calling, I know he will do a great job because he is so good at caring for our family. He now just has a lot more people to show that care towards. And we have the comfort of knowing that this is the Lord's church and "who the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies".

11 comments:

Amanda said...

I was excited when I heard his name today and I know he will do a great job. I wish I could offer help with the kids on Sunday, but I think you've sat in front of us enough to know what that would be like. :)

Reianna said...

He is perfect for this calling. I am so glad that your family is still in our ward!

katharine said...

i think they drew the boundary at parker lane just for your family! best wishes in the new calling, I know he'll be great and I know it is a lot of work for the whole family.

Melissa said...

Andrew will be an amazing bishop! We had heard they were going to change the wards around. When I told John to guess who the new bishop was he asked me is he from the Austin ward? I answered yes and he looked at me and said "then it must be Andrew of course." :) How did they end up splitting the wards? What families got moved?

KID, MD said...

I'm not sure congrats are quite appropriate, but I'm not surprised! I'm sure the Lord will bless your family for all that you will do.

mkt said...

The Zilker Park ward ended up with student housing and downtown. We kept the same northern boundary and then it roughly cuts down Mopac to 71 - east to Westgate - south to WmCannon - east to 35 - north to Oltorf - east to Parker - north to Lady Bird Lake which it then follows around to the current east boundary.

Editt said...

Ha ha! I love it. I agree with Katharine they cut the boundaries just to keep you guys. Congratulations and good luck :) I know you both will be great in that position. Oh and I do have to say I'm sorry that Ruth didn't get to keep you and Lincoln. Hopefully with the new ward boundaries both of you get to have some permanent kids the same age :)

Marci said...

ahhhh....... I don't really know what else to say but ahhhh... good luck! I'm sad that you aren't in the same ward with Ruth, could Andrew do something to change that?

Melinda said...

Ok seriously?!?!?! Now I want to move back to Austin!!! Congratulations? Condolences? :) We love your family and know how amazing you both are- way to be Andrew!!!!

Jennie said...

I read this weeks ago and couldn't come up with words. Now I'm back and I'm still speechless. I love you, friend, and know that you and Andrew are doing remarkable things for the people in your Austin community. When you and Andrew are as gifted and faithful as you are, there is much to do! Best wishes as you adapt to this new life development!

Corrine said...

Like Melinda, congrats and best of luck!