Tuesday, March 25, 2008

All About Mom

I've been tagged by my friend Cami, so this next post is mostly about me and not my cute kids... feel free to skip it if you're not interested. And no, there won't be any pictures because I'm just not as cute as they are.

1. What were you doing 10 years ago? Serving a mission in the Canary Islands - although it really doesn't seem like it's been that long.

2. Five Things on my To-Do List Today
  • Find cotton sleeping gloves
  • Take kids to the library
  • Wash A's backpack
  • Search online for new mold for our crayon maker
  • Pull weeds in backyard

3. What snacks I enjoy

  • dark, dark chocolate
  • cheese
  • herbal tea

4. What would I do if I were to suddenly be a Billionaire?

  • Pay off student loans and mortgage
  • Set up substantial savings account
  • Set up college funds for my kids
  • Send my parents on a mission
  • Travel with my husband - maybe we'll let the kids come along too :)

5. Three Bad Habits

  • Going to bed too late - what's the point of going to bed when you have to get up every three hours?
  • Yelling at my kids - unfortunately, it happens...
  • Eating too much chocolate as a way of coping with the tough days.

6. Five Places I've lived

  • Monkton Ridge, Vermont
  • Houston, Texas
  • Provo, Utah
  • Canary Islands, Spain
  • Austin, Texas

7. Five Jobs I've had

  • Bank Teller
  • Business Manager for a Flooring Store
  • Business Manager for a nonprofit housing developer
  • Mystery Shopper
  • Mom, Mom, Mom

8. Five Things People (other than Andrew) Don't Know About Me

  • I am incapable of following a recipe as written. I love to cook, but I'm always changing recipes just a little to make them more to my liking, whether it's substituting some ingredients for others, cutting the sugar or salt, eliminating some of the fat, or just adding a few spices to make things more exciting.
  • I'm always up for trying new things... like rock climbing one month after Peter was born - I must admit there was a moment when I thought I would be stuck to that cliff forever as I seemed unable to move either up or down, but I pushed past it and conquered Enchanted Rock (or at least one small part of it)... hmm, what should I try next?
  • I don't particularly like sugar - not that I don't like sweet things, but I want the sugar to enhance the flavor, not overpower it. When I'm cooking, I usually end up cutting the amount of sugar called for in half and no one notices the difference.
  • I studied Chemistry as an undergrad and was seriously considering doing graduate studies in Forensics before I met A. This was way before the popularity of CSI shows, but somewhere along the line I decided it would be too morbid and depressing to do that kind of work on a day to day basis. So I went to business school instead.
  • I have a really hard time just sitting still and doing nothing - even to watch something on TV. I'm constantly up and down taking care of little chores and projects. I'll sit down for a few minutes only to remember something else I've been meaning to do, so I'll hop up and do it. It drives my husband crazy!

Well, that's everything you never wanted to know about me :) It's now my turn to tag some wonderful friends, so I choose.... Lisa, Corrine, Melissa, Tara, and anyone else who thinks this sounds like fun (it actually was kind of neat to have to list all these little quirks that I don't usually think about).

5 comments:

Marci said...

i still don't believe that you have ever yelled at anyone, even your kids.

Collette said...

I've always gotten my cotton sleeping gloves at Walgreen's, or other corner drug stores.

Corrine said...

I still can't believe you went rock climbing so shortly after having a baby! Though I am always up to a good adventure and really like that about you. We still need to go and pick some fruit. I think the strawberries are just about ready to be picked, I know we have several in our garden.

tarable said...

I've never been tagged for a meme before - gave me a little smile. I'll work on mine. Love the chemistry mention - man those days seem far away, don't they?

Cami Sue said...

I love the information. When I tagged you I forgot that number 1 we were in the same place. Funny how time does that.

So, can you pass along any recipes and their alterations? I like to cook but am worthless without a recipe. I would love to change some of the things and maybe it just takes experimenting but I hate wasting food and believe me, when I experiment I waste food.

Thanks for sharing some of your quirks.