Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Gingerbread Houses

One of my favorite Christmas activities growing up was decorating the gingerbread house - my mom would make a big one that we all helped to dress up in Necco wafers, M&Ms, gumdrops, lifesavers and whatever else my mom felt like using that year. Then, on the day after Christmas we were allowed to attack it with butter knives and chisel off the pieces we wanted to eat.
This year I finally felt like I had the energy to help my kids start this same tradition. And then Leah started begging for a birthday party with her friends - so I thought we'd just have a gingerbread decorating party and call it good. First we waited for one of her good friends to get back from Hawaii, then we made gingerbread dough and bought candy and assembled the houses. And here are the results:Not bad for a bunch of 3-6 year olds!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Michele,
I did a gingerbread house party this year too. I have a mold that makes a pretty big house and then I bought a kit for a smaller one. I invited the 11 year olds that were in my old primary class over and they got to decorate the already assembled (by me) houses. Then we picked two women in the ward that don't have their own kids and delivered them while singing Christmas carols - it was sooo much fun.

Corrine said...

they all turned out so wonderful

Jennie said...

okay, those are seriously symmetrical gingerbread house decorations for 5 year olds.... nice!