Sunday, August 30, 2009

School Days

I know I'm a little slow with this post, but we have had a bit of a crazy week - which I'll elaborate on in my next post. However, I did want to let everyone know that Leah finished her first week of Kindergarten with much sass and aplomb!
Here she is on the first day of school with her new backpack and her baseball lunchbox (her dad was so proud!). The first day, I walked her to her classroom so I could help her carry all the school supplies, but when I went to say goodbye after putting everything away, she gave me a look that was obviously confused as to why I was still there.

Everyone has asked me if I got emotional sending my firstborn off to school - and, honestly, I really didn't. Not that it doesn't make me wonder where the time has gone and realize just how fast she's growing up... but, quite frankly, the girl was wearing me out! She's way too smart for me to be able to keep her engaged all day with two other little ones clamoring for attention as well, so I'm happy to turn over a few hours of the day to the wonderful Ms. Arispe.

And by the second day of school, I was informed that she didn't need me to walk her into school because she could do it herself! So off she went, waving goodbye without a second look. Luckily, her room is just inside the school doors so I can pretty much see her all the way to her desk.

By the end of the week, however, she was complaining that the day was too long to spend at school, so I guess she's a normal child after all. She also asked to bring her blanket to school for "head rest time". Somehow I didn't think that would be such a good idea so I made her a few "pocket blankets" that she could take to school in her backpack.

The boys have handled her being gone very well - probably because now they don't have to worry about her taking things away from them or telling them what to do. It still remains to be seen if Lincoln will take over the King of the House role or not.

5 comments:

LB said...

Love the haircut! Glad to hear it all went and is going well!

Charly said...

So fun! They grow up so fast.

Nellie said...

I never cried when my kids went to school . . . I think the tears come when the last one goes, which will be a while for you and I. For now, I say, HOORAY for school!

Hope you guys have a place to stay for your house project! Wish we were closer and could help -- if you want to take a road trip, I know, not feasable, but you are ALWAYS welcome.

Jennie said...

Love the picture ... would love to know your sassy, smart Leah. congrats on the Kindergarten milestone =)

Corrine said...

she sure looks sassy in her picture, glad she is liking it. Greg came home from the first day of kindergarten and as I asked him questions as we walked home he told me to stop talking he had to listen to ms. junek talk all day and he can't handle anymore talking! then he napped...bethany doesn't want me to walk her to class anymore...they grow so fast!