Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Texas State Capitol

My kids have been begging me to take them to the Texas State Capitol building all summer. We finally had an unscheduled day coincide with a day that I had energy, so we headed out this morning for a little field trip. The kids were so excited and wanted to get all dressed up to go - Leah even insisted that I wear a skirt. I think this was due in part to Lincoln's association of the Capitol with the temple - apparently the statue of Lady Liberty on top reminds him of "King Ramoni" on top of the temple.

We had a good time dressing up like cowboys and early settlers in the Visitor's Center and pretending to ride in a covered wagon. Unfortunately, my camera is still MIA so I don't have any pictures to share. Leah loved listening to the stories on the old-fashioned phones in the O.Henry exhibit and they all had a great time going up to the top of the rotunda (or at least the 4th floor) in the Capitol building. In fact, they wanted to go higher because they could see a spiral staircase going all the way to the top, but I am very grateful they don't allow that... my feet were getting that uncomfortable, tingly feeling just looking over the balcony.

On the way back down, we stopped in the House gallery where Leah insisted on listening to a resolution being presented. Unfortunately, the boys weren't so interested so I took them outside to wait while Leah listened to the whole thing - luckily, it was pretty short.

They had a great time and hopefully now they'll know the difference between the Capitol and the temple!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

HAHAHHAH!!! King Ramoni! That is really cute! And this sounds like an awesome field trip- way to go!!!

Melissa said...

We've had that confusion too ;) I am glad I am not the only without enough energy to do something most days...

Jennie said...

My first thought was: Seriously? Your kids are begging to go to the Capitol building???? But then I saw the picture and read the activities and understood ... a little =) Cool outing, sounds like it went well. Future politicans?

Nellie said...

I love the TX state capitol! What a fun outing . . . how cute is that that Leah wanted to hear the whole resolution . . . maybe a future politician in the making?