Monday, April 6, 2009

Strawberries


We went strawberry picking out in Fredricksburg again this year... and had much more success in our berry picking. The kids did a great job looking at the strawberries to make sure they were all red before picking them, so we didn't have nearly as many green ones as we did last time. And Peter kept us on track by providing our quality control sampling. Of course, I managed to forget my camera and missed out on tons of cute pics, but here is a picture of the result of our labors!

We took advantage of our Conference weekend stay-at-home time to make strawberry jam and I thought it turned out rather well. This was the first time I've made jam (besides freezer jam) and we sealed the jars using the upside down method, but all my jars sealed and the jam tastes great! It's not quite as thick as I expected it to be (more of a syrup really), but I think that may be because my pectin was a little old. Oh well, we like strawberry syrup too!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sarah said...

Oh, that looks tasty. I think I like berry syrup even more than jam!