Friday, February 8, 2008

Life with 1...2...3...

So quite a few friends who are expecting their third child... or are debating adding a third some time in the future have asked me how things are going. I have to say, it is not as hard as I expected it to be! Peter has been an incredibly good baby - in fact, everyone I've talked to has said that their third was really easy - they seem to sleep better and eat better and just seem more mellow in general - at least until they get mobile :)



There really is some method to the madness when it comes to birth order - I'm sure God realizes that there needs to be some compensation for the fact that you can't grow an extra arm and a four year old isn't really big enough to help as much as you might like. Of course, try telling that to the four year old, especially when that four year old is a girl who can do everything by herself! Too late, I've discovered the downside to encouraging girls to play with baby dolls. She is now convinced that she can take care of a real baby just as easily as she can take care of a doll - AHH! Every time I turn around she's trying to pick Peter up.. this is where those who have older boys will find life even easier for adding a third. The boys will come to investigate and maybe poke or prod or ask to hold the baby for all of 5 seconds and then they're off to find something more exciting to do while they wait for the baby to be old enough to play baseball.



So, for those of you considering moving from a man-to-man defense to zone, you can do it! And then... as my mother-in-law says, having seven is no harder than having three. I'm going to take her word on that one! :)

9 comments:

LB said...

I love this picture. In a way it seems to catch the essence of something about your kids (I realize that is a vague statement...but isn't that what essence is all about?)

Oh and some say that zone is a more effective defense. :O)

So I was listening to Pandora while I was checking out your blog and I hear this song that I really like and I marked it...but then I realized that the person they showed did not in fact sing that song. Then I hear this weird mixture of songs and I'm so confused because I thought that I only had one music playing website open. I was so confused. It was when I went off your blog that I realized that it was your site that was playing a quite fine selection of music. I had no idea that you liked Snow Patrol! :O) Well long story short...love the musical touch that you have added to your blog...quite fabulous actually. Ooohhh..I have another artist you might like...James Morrison (You Give Me Something - is a good song to start with but all of them are pretty good) Also Brett Dennen (very Missoula Montana so quite wonderful.. "Blessed" is my favorite but again all of his are good)

Melissa said...

I have the same theory. If I hadn't gotten an almost normal/mellow child in Matthew I would have never done it again. The third child being easier is the trick to keep us from stopping!! :)

tarable said...

Hoping you're right (although I do keep hearing this from lots of people). My new one seems to be doing better than the other 2 at 10 days old, but I still find myself rocking the cradle with my foot and reading people's blogs in the middle of the night!

Marci said...

really, 7 is as easy as 3? I've always thought you were amazing and you just keep getting better.

Corrine said...

I have to agree, three was much easier of a transition for me than even two...now I don't know about the whole if you have three you can have as many more as you'd like because honestly, four has knocked me on my hiney :) But its getting better, its hard to know what is harder me being so sick this past "year" or just having four kids...a toss up :)

katharine said...

i'd have to say 3 was definitely the easiest, but 4 is pretty easy-going too (so far, so good). hope that keeps up ;)

Marci said...

you women are incredible!! (or incredibly crazy... i haven't decided which one).

Nellie said...

Three was SO much easier than two for me, too, but then again my #2 was Daisy -- remember her at your wedding? XOXO

Patricia Hodge said...

I thought the transition from 1 to 2 was so much harder than the transition from 2 to 3. Andrew was such a hard baby. He still is my one that requires the most attention and needs the most. Jeremy was the easiest baby on the planet. He still is so easy. Now if I could just figure out how to keep Andrew and Jeremy from fighting, then I would be good.