Now that Eli is just over a week old and we are starting to form some semblance of a routine, I thought I'd take a minute to pass along the details of his arrival for posterity and since so many have asked. For those of you who would rather not know, you probably just want to skip this post - although I don't tend to get too graphic.Most of you know that I was scheduled to be induced on Tuesday morning... so of course, my contractions decided to get serious on Monday morning at about 2 am. Keep in mind that I was already dilated to about 4cm on Thursday and had been having contractions for awhile, just not with any consistency. The ones that woke me up, however, were definitely more intense.. so I spent the next few hours waiting for them to get a little closer together.
At about 5:30 I woke Andrew up, called my babysitter, and let the hospital know I was on my way. We got to the hospital a little after 6... after a very slow walk up to L&D since my contractions got a LOT closer together when I was walking. Turns out I was already dilated to 8cm by the time they got me set up so Eli really didn't take very long to make his appearance. He has pretty broad shoulders though, so he got stuck a little on the way out in between contractions - not a fun place to be for either of us. Unfortunately, being stuck also meant that his umbilical cord was pinched off for a moment so he was pretty floppy and blue when he finally made it out, but pinked up quickly.
The kids had just woken up when we called to tell them their new baby brother was here. When Leah heard the news there was a slight pause of disbelief (she really wanted a sister, I think) but she was excited nonetheless. And now she is completely enamored of her newest brother and has been a huge help around the house. She'll even sit and hold him for almost an hour if there's not too much else exciting going on.I think it's safe to say that Eli has found his way nicely into our family and we're quickly approaching the point where we don't remember what it was like when he wasn't here.







2 comments:
How wonderful! I'm so glad for you. And you're such a trooper. Well done!
It's such an odd feeling to not remember what it was like without someone, but know for sure that a few days ago they weren't there. It's amazing. I wonder how God does that. Honestly, it's going to be one of my questions =)
Congrats!!!!!!!!
so glad you didn't have to be induced! sounds like a good quick labor.
Post a Comment